13 August 2010

Observing the world.

Do you ever wonder how others observe the world, and how that compares with your outlook on it? This came to me just now because I looked out of my window and saw a hummingbird flitting among the trees and shrubs. When I compose my thoughts, I often gaze into the distance and something else catches my eye. I think this power of observation is 90% of what makes a good writer -- being able to notice things in the world around you. The other 90% that makes you a good writer is the ability to describe what you see in a way that makes it come alive for the reader.

I guess I miss writing, but I don't feel like I have the time lately. That's what happens when work and grad school take over (not to mention all of those other things that have to happen, like cleaning, yard work, and errands). I'll be the first person to admit that I envy my dad -- doesn't retirement sound amazing right about now?!

xoxo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment