07 November 2012

Come fly with me...

Flights are hard.

Don't get me wrong -- I (sort of) appreciate that determining where and when to fly is a gigantic mess -- and I'd like to think that airlines pick routes, times, etc. for a variety reasons, including selfish reasons as well as data that tells them which routes are popular and which routes users want (case-in-point: Alaska Airlines just added a Seattle-Salt Lake City route based on demand from customers).

But some routes are just completely inconvenient.  Take the recent trip that I've been trying to plan from Seattle to Tel Aviv.  Sure, I can see why it's not the most well-traveled route.  Most flights have one, two, or even three stops or plane changes on this particular journey.  But I've found that there are, really, no good options based on my criteria for flying.

Here's the funny thing -- it's taken me far too long to figure this out.  I've been bouncing back and forth between the following sites to get data:

  • Google Flight Search: Good interface for a visual person, like me.  Still not used to it, though, which is why I've also been visiting....
  • Kayak: Still my favorite site to search for flights.  I have found that the prices aren't always accurate, which means I've also been visiting...
  • Individual airline websites, including but not limited to British, El Al, Air Canada, Emirates, Delta, Lufthansa, and KLM.  But where do my miles count?  I've also been visiting...
  • Alaska Airlines: Home of my mileage plan, I need to check to see which airlines code-share with Alaska... and they fall into different tiers.  Some flights count, some don't.  For example, if I select the flight I want to, I am not sure my KLM-operated flight via Delta will give me airline miles with Alaska.  But that doesn't tell me where I should sit, so I've also been visiting...
  • Seatguru: Available seats are few and far between three weeks out, so I'm looking up different planes and figuring out where I can feel less like I'm in a slum in cattle class. 
This has led me to conclude that what I would really really like is a website that is set up for my exact search parameters and would allow me to sort flights based on a customizable set of criteria.  And the customizable part is important because everyone has a different set of criteria for flights.

Don't spend a lot of time in the (not-so-)friendly skies?  You should read on and learn about how to be smart about selecting and booking flights.

Caveat: All of my comments are biased by my location (Seattle).  Seattle is the headquarters of Alaska Airlines, which is my primary airline.  If you live in some small town in the midwest, chances are American Eagle is the way you have to get around -- if you live in San Francisco or NYC, you have a ton of options.  So I'm not going to talk too much about convenience.  Obviously you can only fly on planes that land at your airport.

Sarah's Flight Criteria and Tips

Start with the airline

Airline: Service
There are the good, the bad, and the @%(*!  Before I started flying so much, I just assumed that all airlines were pretty average at best, but the more airlines I've experienced, the stronger my opinions are about these three general service categories.  Good service includes in-flight service as well as the gate staff, baggage staff, and customer service staff.  If (when) you lose a bag, how helpful are the staff? If you're sick on-board, how do they respond?  I know I'm a captive audience, locked in a tube hurtling above the earth.  That doesn't mean you have to treat me like an idiot or glare at me when I ask for ice in my free beverage.  It would be nice if your representatives spoke English well and wanted to help me resolve my issue.

I flew Southwest for the first time last month and I was completely underwhelmed (not only was their service un-warm, they don't share miles.  for a "progressive" airline, I think that's just stupid).  I've had very unpleasant experiences with American (though I also had a very good experience with American when I had a medical emergency on-board this last year), Lufthansa, and US Airways, which means I've more or less black-balled them and will avoid flying unless I have no other options.  Unfortunately, many discount carriers also discount their service.  There are many acceptable airlines in the middle, especially for shorter flights. And at the opposite end are airlines like Qantas, Virgin, Korean, and Swiss, all of which are fantastic.

Alaska's service is really good (for an American-based airline).  I've flown enough that there have been mistakes or I've had to cancel trips.  I was affected by the big computer crash (via Sprint) last month, and their response and service was fantastic.  Their agents are helpful and it is rare that the flight crew is rude or inattentive.

Airline: Alliances
The two big alliances, One World and Star, share flights and miles (sort of... rules and exemptions galore).  I find not sticking to an air alliance is the biggest mistake you can make as a newbie flyer, and one I myself made for the first two or three years I spent at Google.  I cringe now to think of all my lost miles, but, hey! I was young and stupid. 

If you want to get to status ASAP, do some research and pick the best alliance for you.  Alaska codeshares with a number of airlines (all in One World) and you can get full or nearly full miles on a host of domestic airlines.  Yes, they want you to play the game... but it is a game that you can win at.  Staying within an alliance means more free trips  and a quicker path to status (note: check to see what the redemption policies are for frequent flier miles, as well as how you can accumulate them -- credit cards, rental cars, hotel, etc.  Redeeming miles on Alaska is a piece of cake -- no limitations, really, and multiple ways to redeem.  Compare that with other airlines, which charge you fees and put terrible restrictions on mileage redemption tickets.  Do your homework!).

Airline: Destinations
This is part of convenience, but you'll quickly figure out which hubs work for you and which don't.  Personally, I try to avoid the domestic carriers that are hubbed in places like Dallas or Atlanta -- completely out of the way for 95% of my travel! Check out the access and you'll have more places to go.

Airline: Conclusion
If you find an airline or set of airlines that you like, you can get miles faster and get complaints resolved more quickly.  This is the first way that I sort through any possibilites for trips, meaning that I'm flying Alaska whenever possible domestically and partners internationally.  When that's not an option, considering service and destinations can help me make the best possible decision.

Okay, moving on from airlines...

The mechanics of travel

Flight times and layovers
I always (always!) optimize for direct flights. I'm impatient like that. There's no need for me to be on a plane any longer than necessary.  As fun as it is to run through the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport on a short connection... oh, wait.  That's not fun at all.  Direct flights are faster on some routes in particular.  You can save 4-5 hours flying from Seattle directly to Europe (they fly up over the top of the world) rather than with an East Coast stopover.  Fewer layovers = fewer chances to lose luggage. 

If layovers are necessary, look into the airport and figure out if what they propose is reasonable.  Unless it's a small airport, I avoid layovers of less than an hour.  All you need is a fifteen-minute delay and a few idiots on the plane and you're sunk.  I've spent quality time running through airports in NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt because of short layovers.  Oops.

On the flip side, I try to avoid long layovers too.  For example, one of the options to fly to Tel Aviv via London on British included a 10-hour (TEN HOURS!) layover in London.  Sounds fun -- go and see a show? -- until you realize that it means two nights on a plane (hell no!).  A long enough layover (3+ hours) means you can relax and eat a sit-down meal, visit the massage bar, or, in some airports, take a shower.  Long layovers extend your trip significantly!  Flying to Israel could be 16-17 hours or 30+, depending on layovers.  Just be aware of this and look around for the best option. 

Departure and arrival times
Everyone has a different philosophy here, and again you are somewhat restricted by the routes you travel and the airlines you fly.  I've never been a fan of early-morning flights.  A six- or seven-am flight is death for me because I like to get to the airport with plenty of time for mishaps and I'm not pleasant on 4-5 hours of sleep.  Sometimes that's what you have to do, but I prefer to take flights that depart no earlier than 9am local time.  Red-eyes are often a necessity, but I'm not a fan of overnight flights domestically.  Five or six hours is really not enough to get any meaningful sleep, so you have to decide if saving a bit of money is worth losing a night of sleep in a germ-filled tin can.

If flying internationally, think about when you will arrive at your destination.  I find that a mid-morning arrival is best -- you will have lots of light, enough time to navigate to your destination in your sleep-deprived stupor, and your body will more easily adjust to the local time.  Most international airlines get this, but some don't.  Make sure you know how to navigate around the city at your arrival time (how hard is it to get a cab? are busses and trains still running?) before clicking purchase.

Cost
Never a fun part of flying, cost is something to consider.  For me, I look for a range of acceptable prices, knowing that, yes, I can often save $100-200 dollars by taking on layovers, inconvenient arrival or departure times, or, let's face it, bad airlines.  I have friends and coworkers who, more or less, always select the cheapest ticket.

Here's the tradeoff you have to make -- will $XX(X) more give me a significantly better travel experience, assuming I have $XX(X) to spend?  If I can stay in my air alliance, I'll make some of that back when I redeem miles, so a slightly ($50-100) more expensive ticket will pay off because my bags will fly free and I'll be one step closer to another free flight to Hawaii.  Cost is a pretty personal thing, so I won't suggest that you should spend more for the hell of it.  But you can often buy your way to a better itinerary, so consider it.

Mechanics: Conclusion
Some of this you can control, and some you can't.  Make the best of the situation and realize that some legs of your journey will be restricted in this aspect.  Don't be afraid to spend a bit more money for more convenience -- if you arrive in a better mood and more well-rested, you'll be glad you ponied up the cash. 

Check out amenities 

Coach vs. premium economy vs. business/first
I pity the fools (self included) who have to go back to coach after a nice long trip in a seat that transforms into a bed.  I'm convinced that airline seats were designed by sadists.  I'm not tall or fat or suffer from any medical condition, and I find them to be horribly uncomfortable! Seatguru (see below) can give you stats on seats, but you might also look at the seat details on the airline's website.

For domestic flights, I rarely, if ever, fly anything other than coach.  Sure, six hours in coach isn't fun, but it's not horrible and the price to upgrade is not worth it for me.  It's the longer flights that are particularly painful when you're crunched and trying to rest.  I've also found that you're more likely to deal with the unwashed masses in coach, people who have a) never flown before; b) never worn deodorant; c) think it's a good idea to talk loudly on an overnight flight; d) hog shared space (armrests, overhead bins, etc.); e) have other generally less-desirable traits.  Try to compensate by sitting with friends or colleagues when possible, choosing seats in exit rows or on the aisles, or looking for "coach plus," sometimes offered on American carries (same shitty seat, 3-4 additional inches of legroom).

My general compromise is premium economy, mainly available on international carriers. Don't be fooled by "economy."  These seats are generally nicer than American carriers' first class seats.  They're separated from regular coach and have slightly nicer amenities (see below).  On some planes, like the A380, they might even be located on the upper deck, meaning they are quiet and even more peaceful.  Yes, they might be a few (or several!) hundred dollars more, but I find it a nice middle place.

Unless you are lucky or have elite status, chances are you, like me, don't see the inside of the business or first-class cabin unless you have to walk through it to get to your seat in the back of the plane. We all know what these seats are like -- most of them lie-flat or near-flat, include real food and alcohol, and are much quieter and cleaner than coach.  In my case, the cost filter normally eliminates these tickets.  I simply weep quietly and walk to my seat.

Seat location
Seatguru is my BFF.  I find it to be ~90% effective, as sometimes airlines switch out planes or have multiple versions of the same plane (say, six different layouts for a 777).  Seatguru, if you're not familiar with it, shows you details about all seats on pretty much every commercial plane, helping you avoid bad seats (no windows, near lavs, missing under-seat storage) whenever possible.  There's nothing like boarding a flight and realizing that your seat doesn't recline or picking a seat at the front of a section and spending ten hours with a screaming infant in the bassinet in front of you.  Be smart and avoid it!  

If it's a last-minute trip, you might have no choice.  But avoiding certain seats whenever possible is just good travel sense.  Check out your options and select a seat that you like. Don't be surprised! 

Other plane features
There are lots of other factors if you want to get nit-picky.  Is it a newer plane?  If so, it will likely be cleaner and nicer.  Does it have WiFi?  Yet another reason I love flying Alaska.  What sort of food and drinks are on-board?  Do you have any options or do you need to pack everything yourself?  What about entertainment?  If you're like me, you'd prefer to have a personal entertainment system rather than the overhead variety where you're stuck watching a slightly-edited PG13 rom-com that should've gone straight to DVD.  These features or amenities will vary class to class, so check to see if your seat has power or a bar in the cabin on Seatguru.

Amenities: Conclusion
Price is a limiting factor for me, but don't resign yourself to coach if you don't have to.  And even if you do, look for newer planes with better options so your trip is a bit better.

A few last thoughts...
  • Book ahead!  The later you book, the fewer your options.  Obviously if you're traveling in an emergency situation, you're probably stuck with what is available.  If you plans are firm, you might be able to get a better deal 6-9 months out.  If not, spend a bit extra for a refundable ticket and book book book!
  • It's a lie -- it's not all about the journey.  It is about the destination!  While getting to Israel does not look fun or convenient, going to Israel is amazing!  If you want to travel, sometimes you'll just have to suck it up and fly Lufthansa or Continental.  #firstworldproblems.
  • Be a good, kind traveler.  Everyone has watched a passenger bitch out a flight attendant or service representative.  Or you've had a seat next to someone who was grumpy, mean, or a bad travel buddy.  Don't be that guy or girl.  Travel is stressful for all and it's much better if you simply breathe and take it easy.  Entertain yourself, keep your blood sugar in check, and just hunker down and read.  Check out this post for tips on making air travel (and packing) easier.
Happy travels, all!

xoxo
Sarah

P.S. Looks like I'll be flying on Delta to Tel Aviv.

No comments:

Post a Comment