19 January 2010

Longing for simplicity.


What I miss about childhood is not what you might think. It's not the Barbies and the Legos. It wasn't the stroller rides, although I think that one cannot truly appreciate a stroller until one pushes a child in one. It's not even the copious amounts of food I could eat and not gain an ounce.

Instead, it is the innocence and the joy of life I miss. It was a time when you met someone who liked cats and had a pink Barbie corvette like yours, which instantly made you best friends. It is when getting an A on your spelling test was your largest concern. It seemed like everyone around you was there to support, help, and guide you, and if someone bullied you, you just went to your teacher and things were resolved.

It's not that I would trade the wonders of adult life, the ability to know and to do more things than ever before, the chance to truly live your own life and make decisions and go places and truly become... but there are moments when the ugly side of the adult world come crashing in and you wish for the simplicity, the joy, and the wonder of life.

That being said, I will not let myself become embittered or soured by life. For it is in rising to every challenge that I can maintain the childlike wonder in the core of my being, to find pleasure in simple things in life, and to wake up every day with a sense of hope and promise in my heart.

xoxo
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. It is possible to have found a cuter photo?? I think not! :D

    I see not much has changed since childhood, just as chipper and beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete