04 May 2010

Laundry list.

Juggling. Always juggling. I feel like I'm constantly rearranging my life and putting more energy into this thing or that. Right now I'm neglecting my message design course in favor of my statistics course, though I neglected statistics this weekend to spend time with my family. And I haven't been as checked into work in the last week or two as I'd like to be but that is the way of life, yes?

Health is so important to me. I had a minor freakout on Friday when I stepped on the wii fit so I did step aerobics for an hour. Jeff really enjoys bike rides and I'm not a biking fan but I've agreed to give it a try when the weather is a bit better. My foot finally feels better. My class ends thirty minutes early today, so I'm going to do step aerobics again. I've been tracking my steps per day through a program at work -- last week I averaged about 9200 steps per day. But Hawaii is coming soon!

Then I ask myself, how do I get healthier? Part of it is not allowing myself to stress-eat. It happens the most on days when I have class. I've been turning to Clif Builder Bars, which I love, but they are too caloric when I'm not working out as much. So I'm trying to reach for string cheese, a small portion of crackers, and fruit. I bought a really cool spaghetti portion measure to make sure I'm not overdoing it on pasta. And I'm giving up bacon and sausage at breakfast. Back to eggs, fruit, and whole grains only.

My education continues. In fact, I'm a third of the way through graduate school next month (which reminds me, I need to start working on my final project for my message design course). I was accepted to the 30 Under 30, a prestigious program for young learning and development professionals under the age of thirty at the Learning 2010 conference. It's in Orlando in October! I'm putting together a 4-credit independent study for this summer because there are so few classes being offered. This will also allow me some flexibility and will be slightly less work than this quarter. It's going to be a lot of reading and probably writing a paper or two. I'm trying to identify fall quarter classes too -- but it's tough!

And I love planning trips. As I blogged before, it's going to be a busy travel year (after a relatively slow year last year). Jeff and I are looking at places to eat and things to do in Hawaii. I'm very excited to visit the Harry Potter theme park in Orlando (likely with my coworker Meghan, who is also attending the conference). And I'm very excited to go to Canada with my family.

Then there are those things that just fall off. I stand in front of my bookshelves and feel the tears form in my eyes. There are so many books I want to read -- and freakin' NPR keeps sharing amazing books with me! Right now I'm immersed in The Piano Teacher by Janice YK Lee, which is an interesting book set in Hong Kong in the 1940s and 1950s. I'm also plugging through two books for school and one for work. I sat down and played the piano for fifteen minutes after I studied last night and I realized how awful I am when I don't practice. And I am falling behind on writing my novel too. Le sigh.

But I hate segmenting my life into a million mini-sessions. Sometimes I feel like I divide my tasks into so many smaller parts. Take planning Katie's bridal shower -- I have lists of 2-minute tasks like "Make list of things to purchase" or "Look up more sandwich recipes" or "Call bakery for quote." I feel a bit scattered at time and I'm dying for some "make time."

Yet there are constants that keep me going. My dear Jeff, for example. We celebrated the six-month anniversary of our first date on Thursday (we did cards and cupcakes). Our "official" six-month anniversary is on June 2nd, so we're going to a local spa for a couples spa treatment. It makes me think of a former colleague who had four anniversaries -- two wedding anniversaries, a dating anniversary, and one other one. Well heck, I thought -- then we can have two for now -- first date and "official." More celebrations of something wonderful! I'm so thankful for his calming presence and his ability to do silly things with me (say, our marshmallow catching escapades in my kitchen), his willingness to try something new (say, cooking together last night), or the way he relates to my family (my parents adore him). Sometimes I'll be sitting next to him and think, "I could get used to this, say, forever."

So the whirlwind of life continues. And though I have so much to say, I'm out of time.

xoxo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment