14 December 2009

California!

So about a week ago Jeff and I were hanging out on the couch after dinner one night. This is an approximation of our conversation:

Jeff: So, what are you doing for New Years?

Me: Meh, I don't know.

Jeff: What?

Me: New Years sucks for me every year. I haven't had a good one in, like, 10 years!

Jeff: Then let's do something fun!

Me: Okay. What?

Jeff: Well, you don't really like bars and clubs and stuff.

Me: Right.

Jeff: Why don't we go somewhere? Like Vancouver?

Me: Uh, right before the Olympics? And you need a passport.

Jeff: Oh. I could get one.

Me: Not before then. I know! I have an awesome idea!

Jeff: Okay! Where is it?

Me: Guess!

[edited -- 15 minutes of Jeff guessing incorrectly]

Jeff: Oh, I know... Disneyland?

Me: YEAH!!!!!

I thought he would just laugh it off, but then he asked when I wanted to go. So now we have tickets to go to California over New Years, which is pretty freakin' cool. We're flying into LA, spending about two days there, then driving to San Diego for a few days. I've been wanting to go to the San Diego zoo (btw I'm telling all sorts of Anchorman jokes in my head right now) for years -- plus Jeff suggested horseback riding on the beach, which I've always wanted to do too!

Traveling is a relationship cage match. You lock yourself into this space for n days and then see if you both come out the other side or if one steps out alone. I think how you travel with someone says a lot about your relationship because it can be very stressful. Can your partner handle things going awry or will it throw him or her off completely? How does driving and giving directions work? How much alone time do each of you need?

None of these things matter in the ultimate sense. What matters is that you can bond and become a team as you share a new experience.

As with all things Jeff, I'm optimistic.

xoxo,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, that sounds super fun!!!!! :D Can't wait to hear all about it once you get back!

    ReplyDelete