12 April 2010

Joyous weekend

Joyous is the best word I could come up to describe the activities of the weekend. I think my biggest concern in any relationship is how it will last, how it will hold up over time. Do you have a piece of clothing in your wardrobe that you've had for two or three years and despite going through the washing machine one a week for that long it still is amazing?

Yes, Jeff is like a pair of jeans that holds its shape after so many washes.

Not in so many words, really. But you get the idea.

We decided to do something fun on Saturday, so first we went for pho at my favorite pho place in Seattle and then we went to the Pacific Science Center. I think my favorite exhibit is still the Butterfly House though I would prefer that said butterflies don't land on me. Then we walked around downtown for a bit -- I bought some of my favorite face scrub at Lush (FYI that store is AMAZING) and then we started shopping for clothes for Hawaii. Here is the scene that unfolded at Express:

Me: We should see if there are any clothes here that might work for you in Hawaii.

Jeff: Hmmm, like what?

Me (finds some lightweight cotton pants): How about these? Do you like the grey or the khaki?

Jeff: I like the grey more.

Me (discovers white pants): Ooooooh these are the pants!

Jeff (wrinkles nose): White? White pants?

Me: Trying on is free. You're going to try these on.

Jeff rolls his eyes.

Me: Let me find some other stuff to go with it. (I pick up a white t-shirt, cerulean cotton shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and brown faux-leather sandals that I wouldn't actually buy there but I had to show him the proper footwear). Bring your grey pants too.

(in the dressing room)

Jeff (gets into the outfit and stares at himself in the mirror): Oh my God. This is amazing!

Me: Told you.

Jeff: But... I look good in white pants!

Me: All you're missing is the lei.

Jeff (admiring self in mirror for many minutes): This looks really good... I never would have picked white pants for myself... I had no idea it would look this good...

Me: My work here is done.

Ah, ye of so little faith.

We had dinner at Lola which is always amazing and then watched Stranger Than Fiction, and it was pretty late but I really really really wanted to work on my book but I didn't.

Sunday was church plus lots of house and yard work. I finally organized my garage and I just need a few more boxes to complete it. The mower isn't working properly for reasons that escape Jeff and I. I also hacked on this stupid yew that is next to my front step and discovered several snails nesting inside of it. Okay, maybe nesting isn't the right word. But you get the picture.

It was such a normal sort of weekend. I mean that in a positive sense -- of course it's easy to feel a rush when you and your beloved are doing fun, exotic things. But to have a weekend that will likely be like so many others and to still have so much fun -- well, then...

I think one thing I love about Jeff is that he tries so so hard to be smooth that it is cute. We were coming back from church (I was driving) and he was eating some bread (nice little mini loaves that are normally given out to visitors... I guess they had extra so Jeff just had to eat it). Even though Katie had just mentioned a few minutes prior to watch out for the paper under the bread, Jeff just takes a huge bite and ends up chewing on some paper.

I laughed, I can tell you that much.

Okay, this meandering post needs to come to an end. And I need to get around to blogging about other things but that's not happening... at least, not right now :)

xoxo
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite parts of this post is the "my work here is done" line.

    I can just imagine the scene in my head. Jeff is in the dressing area, staring at himself in amazement in the mirror, you're standing behind him, chat chat chat... as you brush your hands clean of your work, proud of another fashion success, while stating that your work here is done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly how I felt! He gets it :)

    ReplyDelete