08 April 2010

Statistical saga

I was on a stats high on Tuesday. I had just aced my stats quiz. I was feelin' it. I paid attention in class and took excellent notes. And I was really excited to move on to my homework, which I ended up doing last night because I had to do homework for my Wednesday class on Tuesday and, well, nevermind, you know how it goes.

Flash-forward to last night. I had to get a presentation together to share with 50 people this morning so I was stressing over this. Then at about 9pm I started in on my stats homework and it wasn't long before I was in tears.

See here was the thing.

I had taken copious notes. I understood the concept. I knew the range where the answer was supposed to be because I had drawn a graph to explain what I needed to do. But I couldn't figure out how to use the equations.

So I cried. And cried. It made me think of high school math when Mr. Chartrand would throw erasers at you when you got a problem wrong. So I was back in that moment again, that moment of defeat. What is so odd is that this is the first math-related class that I've truly enjoy. Sure, my professor is a bit odd. But she makes math (applied math, rather) interesting and engaging. And it makes me want to learn and do well.

The monster I'm fighting is myself.

xoxo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment