Isn't it weird how that works? It's true of blogging, but it's especially true of writing fiction. The characters in my book are starting to take more shape. It revolves around the lead character, Paul, who is a high school English teacher.
So wait. I should pause and talk a bit about myself as a writer.
Whenever people read something I have written (okay, maybe not whenever but often enough that this is a fair ), they are surprised that it is me. I am a sweet, bubbly person but my writing tends to take a darker turn.
Here's why.
I'm not really in love with stories that are entirely plot driven. You know the type. I love reading a John Grisham on a plane ride like everyone else. But it isn't challenging and engaging on the level I really hope for. And most of his characters are somewhat similar. There's not a lot of depth to them -- they are basically good or basically evil.
People, I find, are not usually like this. People are these incredibly complicated entities with a myriad of motivations, interests, talents, wishes, dreams, etc. I love observing people (and things, for that matter) and "writing" about them in my head. This happens at random times during the day. Sitting in traffic. Sitting in a meeting. Lying awake in bed. Eating lunch with a friend. It is the challenge of finding a way to describe the essence of a person, situation, or thing that drives me to keep writing.
As you can imagine, I like to write stories that are character-driven. And I like to write complex, multi-dimensional characters. This means a lot of thinking and a lot of work around a characters, but I know it pays off in the end.
So, Paul. My main character. The story revolves around his story, but also around the stories of three women. Paul is a complicated guy, but not in the way that the reader thinks, not at first, at least. Shannon, his friend, works at the same school as a counselor. They both know Holly, Paul's ex-girlfriend and Shannon's former friend. And then there's Rachel, a student at the high school where Paul teaches.
I am not entirely sure what story each of these characters will ultimately tell. I start some books or stories with a very clear outline in mind, a very set plot and way that everything will happen. With this yet to be titled book, I have some idea of where the characters are going to take things, but not entirely. I feel like I know them but that they are still strangers to me.
I think sharing all of this has helped. I don't feel as emo. I feel driven to keep interweaving their stories together into a wonderful book :-D
xoxo
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment