Last weekend, I went to a Halloween party hosted by some work friends. And this was no ordinary Halloween party -- this was a murder mystery dinner party where I was going to be in full costume, which in and of itself was a sign of my growth because I have been relatively uncomfortable doing any improv-like activities in the past. But I digress...
... my character was a fortune teller, so I bought some tarot cards as a prop, like the character description suggested. I also dressed up as a fortune teller on Friday at work and even did a few tarot readings, followed by several more readings on Saturday.
Evidently I have a knack for it, or so I hear.
I think a large part of this talent is due to my ability to read people. I've always been really good at it (as George Costanza says, "I can sense the slightest human suffering," to which Jerry Seinfeld replies, "Are you sensing anything now?"). But the more I think about tarot, the more I think it's just two people having a deep conversation around a prop. Sometimes talking about your love life or your career aspirations, etc., is much easier when you can say, "Ah, this is the three of cups, which means..." rather than, "Hey friend, I think you should really manage your money better." Tarot to me isn't really fortune telling. It's simply picking up on cues from someone else and using the cards as a metaphor of sorts. I guess all of this improv has paid off because I hear I'm sort of believable now.
... just don't get me started on how much the reading someone did for me really made ME think...
XOXO
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment